GOUTHWAITE BACKPACK - 18-23L
/ˈgowthwateː/ 54°06'51.0"N 1°47'47.0"W
Made for your playground - whether that's the Yorkshire Dales (ours), a stormy wet coastline or by your side at your local. It will keep your gear secure and dry wherever you are. Like all our bags, it's simple, rugged and multi-use, so it's equally suited to work and play. Whenever you need to escape to nature and reset your mind, this rolltop backpack will be your favourite new companion.
Oscar - 186cm and 110kg
Nell - 170cm and 63kg
Our fair & honest pricing.
We think it's empowering to know everything about the things we use every day. We pride ourselves on being able to tell you who made your bag, when it was made, and even how much it costs to make. Most companies can't or won't tell you these things. We value honesty, so we tell you everything. We also don't follow traditional retail pricing, often around 5-6x cost. Instead, we sell direct to you and never charge more than 2.5x cost. We think this is fair.
|Cost to you||£165|
|- Added to our Wild Fund||£16.50|
Leaving £77.50 to be reinvested into the business and pay for running costs.
20 trees planted and 420kg of CO2e sequestered.
Made in England, with dry-waxed canvas from Scotland.
- Highly water-resistant dry-waxed cotton canvas material.
- Hi-vis orange dry waxed cotton canvas water-resistant lining.
- AustriAlpin Cobra buckle closure.
- Padded laptop sleeve fits up to a 15-inch laptop.
- Zippered internal pouch for valuables.
- 4 side straps with g-hook closure.
- 2 side pouches. Fits most small-medium sized water bottles.
- Padded recycled wool felt back for added comfort.
- 50mm Canvas shoulder straps.
- All metal fittings.
- Removable Sternum strap allows for added support.
- Capacity: 18 - 23 Litre.
- Weight: 1.2kg
- Dimensions: H 50-65cm x W 30cm x D 12cm.
- Covered by our Lifetime Warranty.
When you buy a Bear bag you should feel safe in the knowledge that it has been designed, and made, by people who care.
We care that:
- Our bags are made from the best and most responsible materials we can get hold of, and will be recycled into something new at the end of their life.
- They are crafted by a master bag maker in Suffolk, England.
- Responsibly made products are accessible to as many people as possible. That's why charge what we think is fair, instead of charging more, just because we can.
- Our resources are used to do good. Your purchase helps us achieve our social goals of getting people outdoors, promoting the mental well-being benefits of doing so and protecting the environment.
A Circular Future.
Our bags are made to last a lifetime, but we get that not everyone wants to keep something that long. To avoid your bag ending up in the back of the closet, or worse, the bin, we will take your bag back in exchange for Bear credit (10% of the bags original value) that can be used on future orders.
- We offer a free repairs service covering defects in workmanship and materials for the lifetime of the product. It is your responsibility to send the bag to us then we will handle the rest.
- Wear and tear is not covered by our warranty, but if we can fix your bag we always will (for a fair price). We withhold the right to deem a product beyond repair.
One of the best things about waxed canvas fabric is how it ages. Over time it develops a beautiful patina, making each bag unique. To ensure its kept at its water repellent best, we suggest you reproof your pack once every one to two years depending on use. It's super easy to do and you can find our guide to doing it here.
We also suggest that you try and keep the pack away from light coloured materials in very warm conditions.
Our fair & green shipping policy.
We respect the environment in all that we do.
- All our packaging is recycled and/or biodegradable.
- We try and always use carbon neutral delivery companies like DPD.
There is no such thing as free shipping. The cost is simply just added to the price of the product you are buying. We want to be honest with our customers. So we just charge you what it costs us to ship your order.
The cost is calculated at checkout. We will always use the most reliable and affordable service we can.
My mother-in-law mentioned she couldn't find a backpack that did all the things she wanted: a daytime carry around for groceries/trips into Edinburgh, day excursions into the Scottish uplands, or 1-3 day guest house stays around the highlands. She is fussy and doesn't buy much for herself, and always wants to know that her things are made ethically, with fair wages and low transport miles post-manufacturing. She returned a couple of rucksacks due to fit and poor quality manufacturing, so I chose this bag for her. She said the Gouthwaite (and this larger size one) ticks all the boxes...you've made me the best son-in-law ever. Thank you Oz and Nell.
This bag is made so beautifully and of such a high quality that I feel it will last me a lifetime. It puts mass produced products to shame and makes me really appreciate the skill of a real crafts person.
so far i just got to look at it, i bought this for overnight trips on the bike as much as days fishing, It fits everything i could need for a day out. It feels quality and really well put together. Simple and solid, is always a good combo. For me it looks so much better than uber technical alternatives. just cant wait to use it in anger
So glad you like the backpack Nick! Hopefully you will be able to use it soon.
Not had a chance to fully use the products for obvious reasons.
However, the workmanship is excellent, the style perfect.
The roll top backpack will allow me to carry two rods and everything I would need for a days fishing.
The Universal pack is perfect size and is forcing me to simplify what I carry with me - again the quality is great. The connectors are bullet proof.
Selection of colours is good and material will last a lifetime. Also bought the belt and chest straps which will allow flexibility in how the pack is used.
The website is great and the tutorials on fly tying are useful - more tutorials please on the top 20 flies or something like that!
Thanks again - love what you are doing.
Thanks so much for the great review Andrew! There will be more fly tying tutorials soon. We will be releasing one new pattern a week for the foreseeable future!
As a professional ski tour leader I’ll be using the backpack extensively over the next 8 weeks. I like the easy access, construction & look very much.
So glad you like it Hugo, hope it proves useful on the slopes!